Family home is destroyed and cat killed after Tesla catches fire while charging in garage
- A house fire, allegedly started by a charging Tesla car, has killed a family’s cat
- The fire in Prestons, west Sydney, has caused significant damage to the house
- NSW Police have set up a crime scene and are continuing their investigation
A family’s home has been destroyed and their cat has died after a fire ripped through the property.
Emergency crews were called to the home in Prestons, southwest Sydney, on Sunday night.
The fire is understood to have been started by a Tesla, which was charging in the family’s garage.
Scroll down for the video
A house fire in Prestons, southwest Sydney, on Sunday night has left the family home severely damaged and killed a cat
NSW Police and Fire and Rescue teams attended the southwest Sydney fire on Sunday night
A video of the scene shows the garage smoking as firefighters hose it down.
‘The fire has destroyed the garage and two vehicles inside,’ a firefighter at the scene said.
‘The fire has travelled through to the house and destroyed the kitchen.
‘Firefighters managed to cut off the fire and save the rest of the building.
‘Unfortunately one cat was lost in the fire and the rest of the house suffered smoke damage.’
Teslas, a popular electric car brand founded by Elon Musk, can cost anywhere between $63,000 to $192,000.
A firefighter at the scene said the fire had ‘destroyed’ the garage and kitchen and caused smoke damage to the rest of the home
The southwest Sydney family’s cat was killed in the fire which was allegedly caused by a charging Tesla car
They are advertised as top-of-the-range, luxury vehicles that are a greener alternative to petrol cars.
In a 2020 report, Tesla claimed its car were 11 times less likely to catch fire than petrol cars.
Police have set up a crime scene and are continuing their investigation.
The fire is understood to have been started by a Tesla car which was charging in the family’s garage